Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Defining Moments



Last week I talked about My Story and how I feel that it was a defining time in my life. Shaped who I am today. Whether they be big or small we all have defining moments in our life that shape and define who we are as a person. Sometimes they may be actual moments of decision...a choice that takes us on a different path in life; or they may be periods of time in our life that mold our character.
My illness was definately a "molding character" type of thing for me. I don't think I would be the person I am today or be where I am today if I hadn't gone through that. That was the first major defining time in my life. And the defining was quite gradual it that makes sense?
Other times it was a defining moment. Like when I chose to be baptized in my church. When I chose to move to Utah and get married. When I had each of my children. These are small moments in time but the defining continues throughout life.
There are many many decisions we make everyday that help define who we are. Saying yes to the responsibility of teaching the Gospel even though I really know nothing of the Gospel. Finally deciding to go vist another young mom in my area and getting to know what a wonderful person she is. Deciding that its OK to share myself on this blog and that I am worth getting to know and do have something to offer other people.

So what are the defining moments in your life? Really.....I DO wanna know :)

6 comments:

  1. I love that you are open and share yourself on this blog. I love how real you are. :)

    My defining moments:
    My assault.
    Court.
    Having my son.
    Leaving his father.
    Moving to FL on my own.
    Moving home.
    Realizing that I am worth so much more then I was allowing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, for a minute there I fully believed you were on Oprah and tried to think if I had seen that particular show that day. And then I was all, "How rude that she interrupted you while you were talking to tell you that you talk too much!!" Just call me gullible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. You are an amazing woman and writer. I too read your story and totally believed you were on Oprah :)

    My defining moments:
    Doing what I wanted with my life, not what someone else expected of me.

    Having Buggie.

    Being assaulted and losing my career but working my way through it.

    Realizing I can't do it all and it's ok to admit that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These defining moments are so important. Some positive, some negative, but they lead us where we are supposed to be.

    When I moved to NC the first time- that was huge. That set a lot of things in motion. When I left and then came back. Meeting dh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes sometimes I wonder what would happen if I chose differently at those moments, but life is not about having regrets but about making choices and saying we are sorry when we mess up and then moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again I'm going to tell you how wonderful you write. I love it. Defining moments are amazing. Things happen for a reason.

    ReplyDelete